Sunday, April 10, 2011

Maddie is 5

Boy is she ever.  Maddie turned 5 in March.  It's a rare occasion that we have birthday parties with friends, but this was one of those years.  I decided I wasn't going to go all out this year because, let's face it, they're 5-year-olds.  So I had Maddie pick a theme from the dollar store.  She picked butterflies.  Here are some of the things we did.

We read "The Hungry Caterpillar", then made a couple of crafts.  Butterflies on a straw:

And painted symmetrical butterfly wings found here



We played some games, among them, Elefun:

And ate cake:
 And cupcakes (because they were so dang easy and cute):

Oh, and I can't forget the stinkin adorable treat boxes they took home.  My cute friend Jen made them.  She is super amazing. Aren't they the cutest ever?

I did, however find a tutorial for these little butterfly clippies here and tried to whip some together.  And by whipping I really mean cursing and poking pins into things that shouldn't be poked.  But at least they're cute, right?  RIGHT?!  I made some with the corker ribbon bodies and I actually liked those better.  Anyway...

Are you butterflied out yet?  Good, 'cause I think that's all I have to say about that.  
Happy dang Birthday Maddie!

3 comments:

J Cameron said...

What a great party! Lots of creative fun. I especially loved your butterfly cake and cupcakes. It would have been a shame to cut the cake :)
Those gift bags were really beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

jen morgan said...

The butterfly cake is aaaawesome. And he cupcakes too. Yum.
I love how the boxes turned out once you put them together. Yay!
I'm glad Maddie had such a fun cute birthday.

Unknown said...

I haven't met Jen yet but WOW. I'm not sure if I should be impressed or depressed at the time that must have taken. Maddie sure is loved. All I gave her was a kick in the seat of the pants!