Saturday, January 1, 2011

In Three Years...

Haaaaaapy New Year! If your New Year's Resolutions include anything to do with finances, then you've come to the right post. 

A few years ago, we started our journey to become debt free.  Luckily we never made horrible financial decisions in our marriage, but we weren't totally awesome financiers either.  Then we stumbled across Dave Ramsey.  I've talked about him on this blog before, but I just love the guy.  Well, maybe not him, but I honestly love his ideas.

We jumped on board after attending a live seminar.  That was in May of 2008.  After that seminar we literally cut up our credit cards and vowed never to purchase anything on credit again.  So far we've been able to stick to that goal. We've paid off student loans, and our van.  We've put together a 3-6 month fund that should cover any expenses we may have in case of an emergency.  We've increased our investments and started college funds for the kids. We purchased Aaron's truck with cash, and we've become completely debt-free except for our house. All in all, we've saved or paid off close to $60,000 since May of 2008. And as of this month, we are just THREE YEARS away from paying off the mortgage on our house!  Woo-hoo! That seriously excites me! It hasn't been easy, but it's so nice knowing you aren't indebted to anyone. 

So, if your New Year resolutions have anything to do with finances, I HIGHLY recommend getting started on Dave's Baby Steps plan outlined in his book, Total Money Makeover, or on his website HERE.  I'm not saying it's a quick fix, and I'm not saying it's easy, but I am saying it works. And, to make it even easier for you to get started, I'm giving away a couple of his books! I know, I know, the best giveaway EVER.  :P


So leave a comment by Saturday, January 8 and I'll pick a couple of lucky winners and then I'll mail you this book that outlines exactly what you need to do to get started.  And since there are about 3 people who read this blog, your chances of winning are pretty dang good!  I'm not gonna lie to you, it's hard work, but the results are awesome!

Almost anything and everything you need to know about the Dave Ramsey plan can be found on his web site HERE.

4 comments:

Sharlee said...

It looks like I would be very eligible for this prize. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I already own this book. You are awesome! I am so impressed with your little family.
We struggle with making a plan and budgeting because of the randomness of client paydays or lack thereof. One good reason we are continuously looking for a "real" job.
Keep up the good work and thanks for inspiring me and ALL your other readers :)!!

attack of The Mouse said...

Thanks to an amazing great friend and neighbor we have the book and as of last night we set up a family plan. Dave Rasmey here we come. :)

Audrey said...

I would be very excited to get that book! If it helped you to pay off your house that early that is something most of our parents can't even say they did!

I know we need to get a family plan together!

Hope your doing well!

Hugs, Audrey

Jessica said...

Alright, you completely amaze me every time I turn around. We are trying like crazy to pay off debt so I guess we need to give Dave Ramsey a try. And really 3 years? Go team W!!! You are incredible!

Oh and by the way I am preparing my fasting lesson as we speak or at least trying too.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Jess